Our artists describe the impact of Escape to Create as a profound contribution to their creative life and work. While the heart of every residency is the gift of time and place, Seaside and its neighboring towns are an ideal setting for a unique creative retreat.
The gift of time & the power of place...
“This place gets into your soul and becomes a part of who you are.”
“I knew this time would be helpful, but it has been magical. I found inspiration everywhere...the place itself gives creativity.” Elizabeth Elkins and Vanessa Olivarez, Songwriters, Granville Automatic
Our artists describe the impact of Escape to Create as a profound contribution to their creative life and work. While the heart of every residency is the gift of time and place, Seaside and neighboring coastal towns are an ideal setting for a unique creative retreat.
The white sandy beaches of Northwest Florida are the stunning backdrop to the picturesque walking community of Seaside. Gracious cottage accommodations support full immersion in work with the Gulf of Mexico a constant source of inspiration, reflection, and renewal. Time slows while walking or biking along miles of scenic coastal paths. Round table dinners, enjoyed in the ambiance of a private home, are a favorite weekly tradition among “Escapees.” Architecturally distinct venues provide intimate settings for showcasing the creative work of our artists. These and many other gifts from our community create an unforgettable multi-disciplinary creative retreat.
“To be welcomed into a community that embraces artists and wants us to succeed... and to reconnect with nature in a meaningful way has been invaluable.” Cheryl Toh, visual artist
Escape to Create is dedicated to supporting the creative endeavors of our artists in a vibrant community setting. After 25 seasons, our objectives remain unchanged:
- To foster the creation of work that transforms, teaches, and inspires.
- To provide an environment that supports our artists’ creative goals.
- To advance the role of artist and the experience of art as a valued component of community life.
Two multi-disciplinary sessions are open to professional artists and scholars working in literary, music and theatre arts; visual, multi-media and interdisciplinary arts; scholars of architecture, history, and environmental and cultural studies. Escape to Create has special interest in supporting the work of emerging to mid-career artists and scholars. Artists engaged in collaborative projects may also apply; however, separate applications and fees are required.
Escape to Create offers an environment ideally suited to total immersion in the creative process and ample opportunity for dialogue and exchange with fellow artists and the community at large. Artist accommodations are made possible through the generous donation of private housing. Creative processes must be adaptable to this unique residential setting. If you have any question about the suitability of your process or materials, please contact us at email@example.com before starting your application.
2018 Residency Facts
- Applications are reviewed and ranked by a panel of distinguished alumni who represent each discipline. A selection committee awards a maximum of 6 residencies per session. Notifications are emailed by August 15.
- Artists live and work in individual cottages that are generously donated in support of their creative work. (Exception: Artists engaged in collaborative projects share a larger cottage). Creative processes must be adaptable to this unique residential environment. E2C provides tarps, worktables, printers, music keyboards, task lighting and other essentials required to secure a comfortable and productive work space.
- All residential property and grounds are strictly non-smoking.
- Artists must remain actively working in Seaside throughout the residency. (Exception: Only pre-approved travel required for research directly related to the Work Proposal (see Residency/Application Form) is allowed.
- Travel costs and arrangements are the responsibility of the artist.
- E2C provides each artist with a $100 weekly cash stipend. Weekly group “soup kitchen” dinners are served in a home environment. Bicycles are furnished. While the majority of destinations are within biking or walking distance, transportation is provided for grocery shopping, educational outreach, artist presentations, and visits to local destinations and events of interest.
- Escape to Create does not have access to kilns, metal working/welding facilities, dance studio or stage, traditional darkroom facilities or recording, sound or light studios. We provide projectors for PowerPoint presentations, video and film screenings, music keyboards for composition, and access to piano for practice and performance.
- Escape to Create is a work centric residency. Housing contracts prohibit guests.
- Pets are not allowed.
Click the button above to send your $35 processing fee via PayPal.
We are now accepting applications for 2018: Jan 3 - 31 or Jan 31 - Feb 28
Residencies will be awarded on August 15, 2017
We are available to answer your questions: firstname.lastname@example.org